Monday, October 15, 2007

Adjustments

I have officially arrived at my homestay with the family. Got in around 12pm on Sunday afternoon. I think I would have been better prepared for this kind of experience as a student, but as an adult it is going to be quite the adjustment. They seem like very nice folks, and I will probably end up liking them very much once I can communicate better with them, but at the moment I feel seriously like a fish out of water.

They have apparently kicked their daughter out of her room for me (she’s sleeping on a cot in the study), which in of itself is making me quite uncomfortable, but then the daughter is quite the phantom. I can’t imagine being 15years old and going to lessons on Sunday until 9:00 PM then leaving the next morning at 6:30AM for school. Craziness!

I also feel bad because I’m not apparently eating enough for them and I get the sense that they feel like I don’t like what they’re feeding me. Unfortunately it’s not the problem. I’m just seriously not hungry. It’s probably the nerves from the hugeness of what I’ve done here (do I really have 8 more weeks of this????), and living entirely outside my element.

I’m going to try and get the family together and take a picture for the blog this evening…hopefully they’ll be amenable J

The serious studying started today as my tutor arrived at 9:00 AM to pick me up...less time for reading now and the work begins!

Here's the picture of my room and family:




No comments: