Sunday, December 7, 2008

Things to Do

So I read this fun post on The Tragic Optimist, and decided coming up with my answers to the meme would be a fun thing to do the night before I start a new job, so here it goes

The 100 Things to Do list…
Things in life I’ve done in underline
Things I’d like to do in red
I’ve added comments in parentheses
  1. Started your own blog (yep…which is why you’re reading this now!)
  2. Slept under the stars (in college…camping…etc…)
  3. Played in a band (I would never wish that on anyone – musical skills are nada)
  4. Visited Hawaii (favorite place on earth…especially Kauai!)
  5. Watched a meteor shower
  6. Given more than you can afford to charity (since I never feel like I have given enough I don’t know what will be more than I can afford, but I would like to someday get up the courage really sacrifice for something more important than my own comfort…)
  7. Been to Disneyland (tons of times…one of the benefits of growing up in Southern California and having an aunt who lived 15minutes away from the happiest place on earth…my favorite time was when I was “Queen of the Morning” in Fantasy land!)
  8. Climbed a mountain (well…sort of – see this post)
  9. Held a praying mantis
  10. Sang a solo (hah! – see also #3)
  11. Bungee jumped
  12. Visited Paris (ah…Paris…)
  13. Watched a lightning storm
  14. Taught yourself an art from scratch (I would love to REALLY learn photography…)
  15. Adopted a child
  16. Had food poisoning (I’ve been to China a lot…’nuf said)
  17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty
  18. Grown your own vegetables (does a couple of peppers and some tomatoes count?)
  19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France (actually, I’ve been to the Louvre several times, but never thought fighting the hordes to see this one painting was worth it when there was so much incredible art everywhere around me…)
  20. Slept on an overnight train (Europe & China)
  21. Had a pillow fight
  22. Hitch hiked
  23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill (hasn’t everyone?)
  24. Built a snow fort
  25. Held a lamb
  26. Gone skinny dipping (I think I have a vague memory of doing this in High School, but I’m not sure)
  27. Run a Marathon (and never will…though I did just ride 109 miles over 9 hours on my bike – I think that counts right?)
  28. Ridden in a gondola in Venice (oddly, though I was in Venice, I missed this…I’ll have to go back and try it)
  29. Seen a total eclipse
  30. Watched a sunrise or sunset (almost every day in High School…I’d drive down to the beach and do my homework and watch the sun set…not a bad way to live)
  31. Hit a home run
  32. Been on a cruise (and have no desire to…unless it’s one of those ultra-riche Caribbean sailing cruises, which I’ll never be able to afford anyway)
  33. Seen Niagara Falls in person
  34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors (who wouldn’t want to go to the Czech Republic?)
  35. Seen an Amish community
  36. Taught yourself a new language (I guess immersion doesn’t count…but does pig latin?)
  37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied
  38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person (see also #16)
  39. Gone rock climbing (while I’ve done it in the safety of REI, I’d love to really get into this and climb out west…)
  40. Seen Michelangelo’s David
  41. Sung karaoke (I tortured friends with the caterwauling on March to the Reub night in 1998)
  42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt (who wouldn’t???)
  43. Bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
  44. Visited Africa (Egypt fascinates me…)
  45. Walked on a beach by moonlight (one of my favorite things in the world to do – everything in the world that is bad in your life seems so much less important walking in the dim light with the ocean crashing next to you…)
  46. Been transported in an ambulance
  47. Had your portrait painted
  48. Gone deep sea fishing
  49. Seen the Sistine Chapel in person
  50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (*sigh* only been half-way so I guess I’ll have to go back)
  51. Gone scuba diving or snorkeling (I’d like to do both someday, but for now I’ve only been snorkeling and adore it)
  52. Kissed in the rain
  53. Played in the mud
  54. Gone to a drive-in theater
  55. Been in a movie
  56. Visited the Great Wall of China
  57. Started a business with a partner
  58. Taken a martial arts class (Aikido…loved it while it lasted…)
  59. Visited Russia
  60. Served at a soup kitchen (see also #6)
  61. Sold Girl Scout Cookies
  62. Gone whale watching (one more benefit of living in San Diego as a child…field trip every year to watch the Humpback Wales migrate)
  63. Got flowers for no reason
  64. Donated blood, platelets or plasma
  65. Gone sky diving
  66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp
  67. Bounced a check (though it really wasn’t my fault – the check was 3 years old from a bank account in a state I no longer lived in and had closed 2 years prior - they modified the date to make it not stale-dated and tried to cash it…I almost sued them when they reported me to a credit agency, but it wasn’t worth the hassle for only $25)
  68. Flown in a helicopter
  69. Saved a favorite childhood toy
  70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial
  71. Eaten Caviar
  72. Pieced a quilt
  73. Stood in Times Square
  74. Toured the Everglades
  75. Been fired from a job (would anyone actually say they wanted to do this??? Hmmm...)
  76. Seen the Changing of the Guards in London
  77. Broken a bone
  78. Been on a speeding motorcycle
  79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person
  80. Published a book
  81. Visited the Vatican
  82. Bought a brand new car
  83. Walked in Jerusalem
  84. Had your picture in the newspaper (this one’s beyond cool…I was standing on stage behind Obama the day after he clinched the nomination…and the picture on the front page of the Washington Post was one with me in it, standing right behind and between Obama and Tim Kaine…)
  85. Read the entire Bible (close though...even though I've never been to Church, I always found the Bible itself fascinating...)
  86. Visited the White House (but I may try now since I like the fellow that’s going to take over!)
  87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
  88. Had chickenpox
  89. Saved someone’s life (I guess I never want to be in a position of someone needing my saving if you know what I mean…)
  90. Sat on a jury
  91. Met someone famous (former VP Mondale and Nicholas Kristof were the coolest ones…)
  92. Joined a book club
  93. Lost a loved one
  94. Had a baby (this one is a question still…so I’m not going to say I want to…YET…)
  95. Seen the Alamo in person
  96. Swam in the Great Salt Lake
  97. Been involved in a law suit
  98. Owned a cell phone
  99. Been stung by a bee
  100. Read an entire book in one day
I guess that's the list...and if you got through that you're quite a patient person!

No comments: